In the past few months, I have had that most-dreaded question that all singles are faced with throughout their lives. "Why aren't you married?" It comes in many varieties, and is usually followed by something along the lines of, "You're so cute! You're such a fun girl! Those boys are stupid!" etc.
I thought I'd take a few moments to list my Top 10 answers to that question for you in writing. Because when people ask me to my face, I just put on my biggest/sweetest/fakest smile and say something like, "I just don't know."
The following list is not in any particular order of importance
- I'm kind of weird. But I don't really want a weird guy. I just want a guy who will make me laugh, and a guy who will laugh at my oddities but won't embarrass me in public. That's hard to find.
- My sisters have all married amazing guys! And my brothers are pretty incredible themselves. That's a lot of pressure on me!
- Lots of people take pity on me and try to set me up with anyone male that moves (as opposed to anything male that...doesn't move? Name that movie) I really appreciate your concern, but a lot of the blind dates I've been on are with shy guys. When I first meet people, I'm kind of quiet. Do you think it's a good idea to set up two people who don't talk much? It just leads to an extremely awkward night!
- I can stay as late as I want at work and get everything done. I don't feel stressed that I have to come home and feed some guy.
- Once I do get home, I can do whatever I want. Watch two hours of Gilmore Girls re-runs? You bet!
- My roommates are too much fun. Why abandon them?
- The ratio of girls to guys around here is something like 5:1 (no official study was done to achieve this ratio...just visual observations). Odds are not in my favor. Which leads to...
- There are way too many other cuter/skinnier girls around. Which leads to...
- I'm not very competitive. If a guy I'm interested in starts showing interest or dating someone else, I don't really fight. I just get over it quickly. Especially when it's a roommate or good friend who the guy is pursuing. Part of that reason is because...
- I'm not super flirty. Excessively flirty girls drive me crazy, and I think they look like idiots and seem fake. I do not want to be one of those girl.
So now I have a favor to ask of you...will you please be considerate of your local, friendly singles? Most of us want to get married and are working on it. We still have goals and successful lives. Please don't tell us that we aren't trying hard enough. It hurts our feelings.