Tonight I decided to do a little baking. I was just making some cookies. I decided I was feeling lazy and didn't want to have to scrub a cookie sheet later, so I decided to use parchment paper.
Friday, November 9, 2012
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
A student asked me today what my favorite holiday is. I asked him if my birthday counts. He said no. Rude.
Obviously, I love Christmas.
But I'm pretty sure Halloween is right up there as one of my favorites. I love the costumes. I love carving pumpkins. I love chocolate. Minus the stupid horror movies, what's not to love?
Here's a reminder of costumes past...
I made the goggles out of nerd glasses and elastic.
The hair is pipe cleaners I hot glued onto the hoodie.
I may look like an idiot and definitely feel like an idiot, but it's awesome, right?
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
So I don't think I carved a pumpkin last year. I carved one the other night, and I'm pretty sure it was a lot of fun! I forgot how much I loved it! Plus I bought a carving kit, and it comes with the awesome scooper thing that gets the "guts" out. Plus using the tiny knives it comes with is WAY easier than the 1-2" knives I've used in the past. What was I thinking?
So it always causes me a little anxiety to decide what I should carve into my pumpkin. I could go with a traditional face, because I actually do love them. But I wanted to do something different. Originally, I was going to do something Harry Potter-ish because...well...I love Harry Potter. :) But I did that a couple years ago. Then I thought I would carve Sully from Monsters Inc., because that's my favorite movie to watch on Halloween. :) But then I saw a picture of the aliens from Toy Story, and I got really excited!
Saturday, October 20, 2012
So I just ran the SoJo Half Marathon this morning. As I ran, I spend some quality time making a list of the good and the bad of this race. Here we go. Let's start with the bad:
- And it kind of made me mad. At mile 10, I started to get a major toe cramp in my right foot. It would come and go. This happened to me on my last half marathon. By mile 11, it had spread through my foot and up my calf. And it was in both legs. It was so painful! I ended up walking for a mile and a half. I was so mad! I wasn't as prepared for this half as I would have liked, so I knew my time wouldn't be great. But up until mile 10, I was actually on my way to set a PR! I was cruising! Well, the walking ruined that. As I sit here a couple hours later, my toe keeps cramping up. It's killing me!
- There was also a marathon going on at the same time. They started 30 minutes before me. I got passed at the end by the 1st and 2nd place marathon runners. That's embarrassing. Stupid foot cramps. I would have easily come in before them if I hadn't been slowed.
- I finally got to wear my cute purple-laced shoes for a half marathon! Who knows...maybe they brought on the cramps, but I'd like to say no because they're cute. And I got a few compliments on them. :)
- It was a BEAUTIFUL morning! The temperature was perfect for a morning run at about 50-55 degrees. As I waited at the start line, I got to see an amazing sunrise!
- I got to run right by the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. I wish I'd had a camera. There were some trees in front of it with amazingly colorful leaves, and the clouds behind it just looked so picturesque!
- The Jordan River Trail is beautiful! I want to go back and run on it. That was at the end of the course, so that's where I was walking with the foot cramp issues. To be optimistic, I'm glad I got to go slow to enjoy the scenery. :)
- I got a Chick-Fil-A sandwich at the finish line. Weird thing to eat after a race. I actually wanted to throw up after running, but it seemed like a fun idea. :)
- From the time I left my house this morning to the time I got home, I lost 4 pounds. :)
- I got a sweet medal (I got this from their website).
Sunday, October 7, 2012
My roommate Annie and I recently went to a party where we were watching an episode of the Cosby Show (which, by the way, is such a great show...sometimes I forget). In it, Clair was teasing Cliff about how he buys these shiny new small appliances in the kitchen, uses them once, then sends them to the "appliance graveyard."
Annie and I took inventory of our small appliances and realized we hardly ever use some of them. We have decided that in the month of October, we'd like to use all of our little appliances in our kitchen.
So far we've used the quesadilla maker, ice cream maker, toaster (Toaster Strudel...mmm), heart-shaped waffle iron, George Foreman grill, popcorn maker.
The only things we have left are the pizza stone (not an appliance, I know...but still feels neglected), crepe maker (we used it a couple weeks ago...but not in October), Cocomotion, sandwich maker, blender, and bread maker.
It's been fun. You should try it. I should have been taking pictures along the way, though.
Saturday, September 29, 2012
One of my goals at the beginning of this year was to run 520 miles in 2012.
I just did a little calculating, and I've already run 520 miles!
Well look at that...I actually accomplished a New Years goal!
Now on to catching up on the rest of my goals!
Thursday, September 13, 2012
So let me start by showing you approximately what I was wearing at school today...
When I got to school, I was walking down the hallway, and a student stopped me and said, "Whoa, Miss Lacey! Are you teaching PE today?"
Later in the day, I had a student ask me in class, "Miss Lacey, are you sick today?"
For the record, no I was not teaching PE. And no, I'm not sick.
Apparently I looked frumpy today. And ill. But my classroom is so stinking cold, so I had a cold, red nose and had to keep my jacket on.
Perhaps I should put a little more time into my clothing selections at work.
Or become a PE teacher.
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Back in July, I was sitting in the Salt Lake Airport, waiting to board a flight to meet my adorable new nephew. As I was sitting there, I saw this lady sitting near me who was wearing a red and white striped Harry Potter polo. I had seen these in the shops at Harry Potter world in Orlando last year, but thought it would be silly for me to buy one. But as I saw the lady's shirt, I was a little sad that I didn't have one.
I sent my friend Carie a text that said something like, "I only have one regret in life: I didn't buy that Harry Potter shirt when we went to Orlando."
Fast forward to today when I went to dinner with Carie....
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Sunday, August 12, 2012
What? Shannon wrote a blog post? Shocking, I know. Don't get too excited, though. My roommate Annie introduced me to the Conversations podcast (from the Mormon Channel) a while back, and I've been listening to them a lot in the past two weeks. They interview General Authorities and other notable members of the LDS Church with interesting stories. They talk about their lives and their testimonies of Jesus Christ. If you haven't heard them, I highly recommend them. They are entertaining and uplifting.
Anyway, this morning I was listening to a Conversation with Elder and Sister Holland. Sister Holland shared this quote from George Bernard Shaw, and I loved it. I just wanted to remember it...therefore, I blog. :)
"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them."
Well put, George. Well put.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Don't worry. This is the last day. All we did on Sunday was sit on airplanes and in airports. But before we spend great quality time with the airport, we go to have one more day of Irish amazingness!
We went to Blarney on this day. It was beautiful! The grounds and gardens were beautiful.
This day may have been the most eventful. Keep reading down to hear about the great car incident. It was pretty awesome (now it is...not at the time, though)
Ever since I was little, I would look up my name in the dictionary, only to have it tell me that it's a river and city in Ireland. Well good news, everybody. I went to Shannon! It was just a quick drive-through to get a picture, but it was awesome!
The island was beautiful. It's all split into pieces of land by rock walls. I can't imagine building those walls!
There was an old ship that washed onto the island in the 1960s
Jumping pictures in front of castle ruins are always fun :)